● 2002 Licensed Occupational Health Psychologist (‘Psycholoog van Arbeid en Gezondheid’)
● 1999 State licensed (# 19049726925) Health Care Psychologist (‘Gezondheidszorgpsycholoog’)
● 1988 Ph.D. (summa cum laude), Groningen University, The Netherlands. Title: “Unemployment and Psychological Health: An Investigation among Dutch Professionals”
● 1986 Clinical Psychology Licensure
● 1978 Master degree in Psychology, Groningen University, The Netherlands
Distinguished Research Professor at Leuven University, Belgium.
Full Professor of Work and Organizational Psychology, Utrecht University, The Netherlands
Visiting Professor at the School of Business and Economics of Loughborough University, Leicestershire (UK)
Visiting Professor at Universitat Jaume I, Castellón (Spain)
Scientific Research Director at ArboNed, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Senior consultant at Schouten & Nelissen Inzicht, Zaltbommel, The Netherlands
Scientific Director of the National Research Institute ”Psychology and Health”
Associate Professor of Work and Organizational Psychology, Radboud University Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Fellow of the Netherlands Organization for Scientific Research, University of Groningen, The Netherlands
Assistant Professor of Clinical Psychology, University of Groningen, The Netherlands
● Dutch Association of Organizational Psychological Researchers (WAOP)
▪ 1997-2001: Chairman
● Dutch Psychological Association (NIP)
▪ 1993-present: Board member of the Division “Occupational Health Psychology”
● European Association of Work and Organizational Psychology (EAWOP)
▪ 1999-2005: Executive committee member and treasurer
● 1985-1989: Pychologie en Maatschappij [Psychology and Society]
● 1989-1999: Netherlands Journal of Psychology
● 1992-2000: Gedrag & Organisatie [Behavior & Organization]
● 1994-2000: Work & Stress
● 1998-2011: Organizational Psychology and Health Care (Book series editor)
Journal Editorial Boards
● 1999-2009: Netherlands Journal of Psychology
● 1998-present: European Journal of Work and Organizational Psychology
● 2000-present: Work & Stress
● 2000-present: Gedrag & Organisatie [Behavior & Organization]
● 2000-present: The International Review of Management Studies
● 2004-present: Journal of Occupational Health Psychology
● 2005-present: International Journal of Stress Management
● 2005-present: Journal of Management
● 2006-present: Applied Psychology: An International Review
● 2007-present: Journal of Managerial Psychology
● 2007-present: Career Development International
● 2009-present: Revista de Psicologia Social
● 2015-present: De Psycholoog
Awards and distinctions
● Listed as second most productive Dutch psychology professor out of 129 during the period 1993-1995 in a article by the “Nederlands Tijdschrift voor de Psychologie” (1998).
● Work Wellness Award from North West University, South Africa, which “recognizes the scientific contributions of Professor W.B. Schaufeli to the development of the field of Work Wellness in South Africa”.
● Fellowship of the European Academy of Occupational Health Psychology, “in recognition of his outstanding career contribution to occupational health psychology” (Rome, 2010).
● Highly Cited Researcher 2013 in the Thomson Reuters list of “The World’s Most Influential Scientific Minds” that includes 3215 scientists with publications that belong to the top 1 percent of most cited papers in the field.
● Jorna Rantanen Award 2014 for “his outstanding contribution to worker’s health and well-being” Finnish Institute of Occupational Health.